July 14, 2010
By Mark Tilsen, Sr., president of Native American Natural Foods
During a recent Tanka business trip to Tampa, FL, our president Mark Tilsen, Sr., discovered this quiet little plaque during one of his morning walks. Tucked beneath an overpass, the plaque describes the spot as the location of a Timuquan temple mound. From the brief description posted on the sign, the spot has had a varied history.
Unfortunately, the Timuquans' story doesn't have a happy ending. According to a story by Dr. Jerald T. Milanich, posted at Tanka retailer AAANativeArts.com:
"A 1717 census lists three villages housing a total of only 250 Timucua Indians. By 1726 that number had dropped to 157 Timucua, and two years later it was 70. In 1752, 29 Timucua remained, all living in a single town. A decade later when Spain withdrew from Florida there was only one Timucuan Indian still alive to accompany the Spaniards to Cuba."
For the full story, click and scroll down the page: AAA Native Arts
March 17, 2021 25 Comments
Tanka Fund’s goal is to convert 1,000,000 acres of virgin prairie to regenerative agriculture built around a buffalo based economy. Join us in restoring health and prosperity to Native communities.
Receive the latest news about Tanka and be the first to know about specials.